At the 28th meeting of the National Committee on Naming, Registration and Release of Crop Varieties, Livestock Breeds/Fisheries, held on the 12th of December 2019 at NACGRAB, eleven (11) crops were released. These include: five (5) maize hybrids, (Zuma 450, Zuma 500, SAMMAZ 56, SAMMAZ 57 and SAMMAZ 58); one (1) maize variety (SAMMAZ 55); two (2) castor varieties (NCRICAS 1 and NCRICAS 2); two (2) yam varieties (UMUDa 27 and UMUDa 28); and one (1) transgenic cowpea variety SAMPEA 20-T.
- Maize hybrid Zuma 450 was recommended for release based on extra earliness and high grain yield.
- Maize hybrid Zuma 500 was recommended for release based on extra earliness and high grain yield.
- SAMMAZ 56 was recommended for release based on high protein content, early maturity, high grain yield and stress tolerance.
- SAMMAZ 57 was recommended for release based on high pro-vitamin A content.
- SAMMAZ 58 was recommended for release based on high yield
- SAMMAZ 55 was recommended for release based on high grain yield and tolerance to multiple stress.
- NCRICAS1 was recommended based on high seed yield and large endosperm
- NCRICAS2 was recommended based on high yield, high oil content, early maturity and good oil physicochemical properties
- UMUDa27 was recommended based on slow rate of oxidation, good taste and high dry matter
- UMUDa28 was recommended based on good processing quality and good taste
- SAMPEA 20-T was recommended based on resistance to legumes pod borer and early maturity